Dentist NYC for Tooth Pain
The practice of dentistry often includes making the proper diagnoses of the many cause of tooth pain. A significant amount of people come in to our office complaining of tooth pain. There are a variety of causes of tooth pain that we identify. In this blog, we will list some of the many potential causes of tooth pain.
Identifying the specific cause of this pain can be difficult. With our training, expertise and years of experience, we excel in this area.
In no particular order, here is a list of the most common causes of tooth pain:
- Cavity - a cavity occurs when bacteria produce acid that decay a tooth.
- Infection - infection occurs when bacteria builds up.
- Nerve death - this occurs when the nerve within the tooth begins die.
- Fracture – a fracture occurs when a tooth breaks due to trauma.
- Broken filling - an old filling can break due to the age of the filling, or trauma.
- Clenching and grinding - these can cause repetitive trauma to the teeth over time.
- Gum infection - bacteria that gets under the gums.
- Ill-fitting crown - a crown that does not fully seal the tooth.
- Trauma - any exogenous force can cause damage to a tooth.
- Warn enamel from brushing too hard - over time, brushing too hard can remove the enamel layer of the tooth, causing sensitivity.
- Gum recession - can expose the root of the tooth, causing sensitivity or pain.
- Referred pain - a tooth that has pain may not always be where the pathology exists.
- Wisdom tooth impaction - wisdom teeth can cause pain when they erupt, or try to erupt.
- Failed dental procedures - anytime a procedure fails, it can cause pain.
Diagnosing tooth pain
The first step in diagnosing tooth pain is taking a thorough history from the patient. We ask questions and listen to the patient’s description of the pain, including: how it started, how long it has been present, the nature of the pain, aggravating factors, the onset, location, and prior treatments.
The next step in diagnosing tooth pain is the clinical examination. We do a thorough physical examination of the tooth and the gums. We do imaging such as x-rays. During our physical examination, we also look of the surrounding teeth as sometimes the pain is referred from one tooth to another.
Treatment of tooth pain in general
Once we come up with a working diagnosis of why you have tooth pain, we address the cause of the problem, and not just the symptoms. We always opt for the most conservative and least invasive treatment options for each individual problem. We also always use the least toxic materials when an invasive procedure is necessary.
Why we are the best NYC dentist at diagnosing tooth pain
At Sachar Dental NYC, we take great pride in our extensive experience and our training. After 20 years of experience in practicing in such a large city as New York, as well as training in this Metropolitan area, we have seen at all. No matter how big or small your problem is, we can address it with confidence.
All of the doctors at Sachar Dental NYC have completed advanced dental training at Spear Education in Scottsdale, Arizona. This comprehensive training included advanced understanding and management of all pathologies from simple to the most complex cases.
In addition to our extensive training, we are extremely thorough in our examination and thought processes. We are able to diagnosis even the most difficult and elusive problems. We do not rush into treatments until we are completely sure of the diagnosis. We also always choose the most conservative and least invasive treatments available for individual problems. Additionally, our implanted dental materials are always the least toxic and the highest quality.